Saturday, June 13, 2009

Gearing Up for Chemo


The first part of chemo involves gearing up – mainly getting all the other pharmaceuticals that they prescribe you in addition to the chemo drugs and preparing yourself for the big day.

In addition to my chemo drugs, I was prescribed twelve (!) other drugs to take – three of which have to be started prior to chemo and one of which I have to inject. I knew about the injections, but I hadn’t been told about all the drugs I would be taking. I only realized at the pharmacy what I would be dealing with when the pharm tech said, “You want ALL of these,” and I saw the pill bottles pile up.

There are various drugs to deal with the side effects of the chemo or to help you from having an allergic reaction to the chemo drugs when they are administered. It’s such a large number of pills, each with different regimens, I had to sit down a couple days before chemo and carefully fill out my little pill box (another thing I had hoped would gather dust on my shelf). I still had to speak to a nurse by phone just to confirm everything. As someone who works in public health, I can’t help but think about the elderly or those with low literacy or language issues trying to deal with this. It doesn’t help that the doctor’s office and the pharmacy often interchange their use of the commercial and generic names for drugs.

The other part of gearing up is being prepared for the day. This is my list of things to bring:

· Snacks
My chemo treatments were scheduled for Wednesdays at 9:00 A.M. and they told me the first one would last until about 2:00 or so. Unfortunately, my infusion center is not one of the swanky ones that actually provide sandwiches and such. Juice, if you’re lucky. So, if you are ever preparing to have chemo or accompanying someone going through chemo, be sure to pack some snacks. In case you are wondering, unlike on TV, most people getting chemo don’t immediately start vomiting. You should get drugs for that.

· iPod
You may have TV to watch, but you may also want to just close your eyes and relax…I’ve made my own Chemo Mix

· Books or puzzles
However, these may go unused if you have any drugs that end up making you loopy…Benadryl by IV, given with some chemo drugs that may cause allergic reaction, is like three martinis! If you are accompanying someone, consider bringing something to entertain yourself in case your friend or family member ends up being a little incoherent.

· Pen and paper
For writing down instructions you are given for follow up care. Especially helpful if you are given these instructions under the influence of the Benadryl martini.

· Camera, if you want to commemorate the event

3 comments:

  1. Nadine,
    It's been a long time. I found your twitter account which led me to your blog. Technology is something.

    Just to doublecheck - you are my old friend Nadine originally from Ohio? I can't believe you've been given this double whammy. I think I would be screaming from the rafters "it isn't fair". Your blog is informative and I found myself chuckling at your sarcasm.

    My thoughts are with you through this difficult journey and I hope I can help brighten some of your difficult days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nadine you are in my thoughts and prayers. Ive done the chemo and man its a tough battle and you are a courageous woman! I was stopping by to welcome you to spirit jump. Can we Spirit Jump you? Email me spiritjumper@spiritjump.com I would love to send you a card & I know the other jumpers would too. I hope you let us share your story and send you some jumps :)

    xoxo
    Meaghan (Spirit Jump)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Nadine, for sharing your thoughts as you work your way through this challenge. By now you know your friends and all who have ever known you are sending strong positive thoughts of support.

    Arlene Gregory

    ReplyDelete